Happy holidays :) I haven’t been posting much as I’m sure you all know how life gets, or at least feels, around the holiday time. Its funny though, the same reason I haven’t been posting just happens to be the reason for this post today.
Managing MG and Stress
Managing my MG and stress (especially around the holiday time) is super important to keeping myself up and running when need be for family gatherings and such. I don’t know about you but when I get stressed I loose my appetite, have a hard time turning my mind ‘off’, have a tough time sleeping, become increasingly forgetful and am simply exhausted overall. Not someone you’d enjoy hanging around for very long, if ever, at all. So, below I’m going to share some things that have helped keep my mind, body and MG on track during these amazingly beautiful yet occasionally stressful times.
When I’m stressed I don’t feel like eating much or I simply forget to eat all together! Over the years I have realized that eating at regular times no matter what, is crucial to keeping strong especially when you have MG or any other autoimmune disorder for that matter. It seems like such a simple rule to follow but surprisingly many people (I used to be one) don’t eat at regular times every day. So heres what I do:
- Upon waking I eat a banana + drink a glass of water…even if I have to set it on my nightstand before I go to bed, it’s the first thing I do. Bananas are packed with potassium (super important for muscle function) and healthy carbs to kickstart your energy for the day and water/hydration is key to more functions of the body than we realize.
- GREEN SMOOTHIE! Yes, every morning I make a green smoothie. Get those nutrients first thing in the morning. When I don’t want to eat food, but know I have to, green smoothies are key. Great for those of you who have a hard time chewing too. Use the recipe at the bottom of the page.
- After you’ve started your day with a banana and smoothie, naturally you’ll be hungry a few hours later. If you’re not, schedule time to eat regardless. After my morning smoothie I typically make sure to eat at around 1pm 5pm and 8pm.
When you’re feeling stressed and exhausted its tough to even think of taking time out for yourself but you have to.
Wether you choose to take 10 minutes to sit or lay with your eyes closed and focus on your breathing (give square breathing a try), sit on the floor and stretch or follow a mild yoga routine (I really like to use the app ‘YOGA Studio‘ on my phone in the comfort of the living room floor) or simply throw your headphones in, turn on some soothing sounds and zone out, you must take that time out to center your mind again. Remember the goal is to stay healthy, sane and happy here ;) and this will very much help.
Ahhhhh. Sleep, one of my favorite things of the day. Did you know that the body repairs and restores itself only during sleep? Restorative sleep is one of the most important things people with MG or any other autoimmune disorder can give to themselves.
When its hard to sleep because well, life…here are 5 things I do to get that deep sleep we all need.
- Lavender oil + epsom salt. Bath time! A little soak in a mildly warm bath of this mixture will gently help soothe and get you ready for sleep. I use 1 cup epsom salt and 10 drops lavender oil.
- Tea time. Chamomile tea helps to relax me before bed (or anytime during the day, actually).
- Lavender oil dabbed on your wrists, temples and a little on your pillow will help you ease off to sleep. Lavender is a calming, anxiety relieving essential oil.
- Meditation music (I love love love the Omvana app) or I listen to rainforest or calming rainstorm sounds. Many sleep sounds you can find on youtube.
- Breathe. Square breathing and deep breathing will put you to sleep in no time. Faster than counting loads of those furry sheep anyway ;)
Todays Smoothie Recipe
try it out :)
1 frozen banana
1 cup frozen peach slices
1 handful of spinach
1 scoop protein powder (I like Sunwarrior Warrior Blend Protein)
2 Cups liquid (water, coconut water, almond milk)
1 tbsp fish oil (I like to use Carlson The Very Finest Fish Oil Liquid Omega-3)